Friday, December 14, 2007

Plans...Copan and Tikal


Tomorrow at 4:00am I head for Copan, Honduras, where I will tour Mayan ruins and stay at a B&B run by a Honduran and American couple. The pics on the Internet make me think I will be sleeping in a comfortable bed for a night and I tell you I am looking forward to this with great anticipation...truly.

Next weekend I will fly to the petan, the northern lowland jungle, and stay in Tikal, the national park and one of the most significant Mayan ruins (see pic). The timing is significant because I will be there for the winter solstice. The Mayans were advanced astronomers and structures are built relative to the placement of the stars and sun...there will be special ceremonies and celebrations.

Both places I am going alone although my roommate (Judy) and I will overlap in Tikal for one night. I am staying in the jungle at a lodge and hope to see the much touted wildlife in the mornings and evenings.

I see many women traveling alone from all over the world. It is an inspiration. I will be traveling 5 hours by bus to Copan. Am going to eat, pack, and sleep as soon as possible. More soon.....

No comments: