Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Mi Amigos...

I now have friends here in this town that is a strange amalgamation of locals and transients from all over the globe. People come and go...sometimes they stay for weeks, months...years. But most leave at some point and the locals are use to it all. Friendships are formed quickly and intensely given these circumstances. I am greeted by friends on the street....Jose who owns Cafe Flor...he now offers a handshake and kiss to the cheek. We have talked movies and accents and music. There is Giovani, Mr. Gay, with whom I seem to have a magnetic attraction to as we see each other on the street, big gay hellos and hugs..."buenos noche, I love jew (you with accent)." There is Jon from Cafe No Si who keeps telling me to come by so we can talk more. There is Carlos from the bookstore who says, "you are famous now"...I think in part for buying him drinks all night and leaving a generous tip. The other night found me at the local Irish Pub where Steve, a retired merchant seaman from England, and I sat and drank and talked...and the sweetest guys behind the friendliest bar I have ever been in. Joe from Puerto Rico, and Aiden from Ireland and Mayrin from Gt, and Maria who is Guatemalan but speaks with a British accent. All really nice people.

No comments: