Friday, December 7, 2007

La Sala and God Bless the Gays!

La Sala is the name of the club I spent way too much time at last night! And I found some of the gays! But let me explain in order. First, the nice young men who said hello to me at school when everyone else was ignoring me....yep, they were gay, of course. Sweet young guys from the south, David and Kevin, who have travelled around the world and are looking forward to settling for a bit in Chicago...they leave today....really bummed they are leaving. They have had little experience with any kind of robust queer community and are looking forward to the queer culture in Chicago. They were soooooo sweet. I begged them to come visit promising them a good time in San Francisco (hi David and Kevin...if you are reading, September is the best month to visit!). Next, I went to meet my new friend Mel at La Sala, the hip Latin dance club that has an amazing live band and attracts both Guatemalans and westerners. When I arrived I met a funky little dyke named Gin. She´s from Chicago, was recently in Grass Valley to harvest pot, and is going to Mexico to "farm sit" for someone. There are some very interesting folks here. Soon Mel and Palon arrived and the club suddenly filled with a ton of folks. I went to get some air and in the corner I saw thee gayest man in Antigua dancing by himself. He hails from El Salvador and is pure Latin camp with the swishing and the snapping of the fingers and whatnot. I immediately introduced myself and we danced all night long....and get this, I was complimented on my dancing by a couple of folks. Those salsa lessons and listening to Latin music has paid off. Now for the funny part, at the end of the evening I explicitly came out to Mr. Gay ( could not hear/understand his name after he told me five times) and he said he had no idea I was gay. It is amazing how being in a cultural melding pot like Antigua mutes so many social ques. I was laughing explaining that I am muy gay! We made a date to dance together again in two weeks. He was totally sweet and hilarious! I have pictures (don´t know where/how to download yet). I have been very cautious about coming out, especially with the westerners not being too friendly and Guatemala being conservative and Catholic. Because I live in the bubble of San Francisco and hang with people who really push the envelope in so many ways (especially with sexuality) I feel I need to check myself a little....see what is ok, safe. The upshot, I was a buzzed, sweaty, smokey, tired, super happy mess when I got home....and Antigua has suddenly become very friendly. Muchos gracias Mel and Mr. Gay.

2 comments:

IndiaImpressions said...

Mer, you are f**king hysterical. Retarded you most certainly are not. Oh, except in that 2X4 butch kind of way, e.g., "Huh? What? Who thinks I'm hot? What girl?"

Kevin said...

It was great to meet you as well. I'll definitely be planning a trip to San Francisco soon. P.S., I like being described as a "sweet young guy from the south". I think I'll put that in my next personal ad.