Monday, December 10, 2007

Emissions Control and My Bed

The two things I really miss....and no, I do not mean emissions control in my bed! My bed is the most uncomfortable bed I have EVER slept on. It is poorly made and is as old as the hills...it tries to present as a mattress bed but plays as a spring loaded hammock. The first few days my body ached terribly from sleeping on this thing....even the Pooh Bear bedspread could not soften the hurt. It seems my body has adjusted somewhat and I don´t know if I should be happy or concerned. I was elated that in Pana at Lake Atitlan my hotel (pretty much a dump by US standards) had a slightly better shitty bed....a double that was a bit more horizontal, although it still had springs and sank when laid upon....and the pillows stunk. But there was only one spider, ginormous, and it came in the morning....and there was no towel...thank god for my travel towel which I use everyday. But I digress. My bed is an absolute piece of shit and it hurts my 43 year old body. Emissions control. I cannot fully explain with words how bad the air pollution is in every town. Every vehicle seems to pour out black smoke....the chicken buses being the worst offenders. There is often a haze hanging in busy streets and one is constantly breathing it all in as there is no escape in Antigua because of the architecture and the narrow walled streets. It is awful, but just a part of the harsher reality here.

No comments: