Sunday, December 21, 2008

Right Now

I am sitting in my host-family house at 2nd Ave. Sur, Number 69, Antigua, GT. The night is cooling and it is good to be back from Utila. Here there are few mosquitoes, no sand flies, and the salt shakers work. I am sitting in the middle of the house, it is open air and I hear the streets alive with music and fireworks. People come out on Sunday nights and the holidays bring a lot of parties, processions and singing and the ubiquitous fireworks. As I walked through the Central Park this evening children were neatly lined up on the cathedral steps wearing matching Christmas colored robes singing something beautiful in Spanish. Folks gathered 'round and cheered after each song. I am very tired after my week in Utila, diving and drinking and eating really bad food. And after a long day of travel and sitting in airports in three countries, I made the dubious decision to go see my friends at the bar. I behaved, but so many folks were there and so happy to see me...I couldn't help but stay up half the night talking and laughing. But it all has left me sleep deprived. Tonight, felt a little homesick for the first time as I walked through the park. Could use the comfort of my own bed and a cuddle with my sweet Cosmo....the hug of an old friend. Bought a cell phone and called a couple people. No one answered. I know the feeling and that it will pass...probably very quickly. It always has. But right now, feeling a tad wistful.

No comments: