Monday, December 29, 2008

Mer Whines for Just a Moment

I am sick and it sucks. Did not go to school today and spent most of the morning in bed. A water main broke near the market so our house has no water and I had a bird-bath with a small bottle of water. I think anyone standing near me would agree that I need more bathing. I spent the weekend ambling slowly through the streets, lingering in cafes and internet cafes, and reading my book, Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana Jr. (1840). I will have lunch at home in a few minutes where the food is mostly decent, better than my house last year. We eat a lot of eggs (cooked with some kind of red sauce that is so damn good) with tortillas and fried plantains. We sometimes have meat, often in the form of a bite of pork stuffed into a small tamale. But I feel lucky that I am not 'rounding the horn eating salted meat, sea biscuits, and hot water with molasses like Mr. Dana. It is an unusually cloudy day today and the volcano Agua has disappeared which is quite a feat. Usually the weather is close to perfect, sunny, highs in the 70s almost every day. At close to 5000 feet you would never know we were technically in the tropics, below the tropic of cancer. As a result of getting sick I am pretty set on not going to El Salvador but rather staying in town and seeing my friends as much as possible. New Years here is off the hook...crazy in fact. I hope to be recovered enough to be an enthusiastic participant and keep my wits about me in the chaos. Have more interesting things to write but can't muster the enrgy right now. Ok. I'm done. No more whining.

No comments: