Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In Antigua Again

I am here yet again arriving on TACA flight number 641 at about 730am on Sunday morning. For those of you who have said you are curious about such things, I offer a basic description of my current circumstances. I am staying with a wonderful middle aged Guatemalan couple, Luky and Jose. They host several students at a time and are very practiced at doing so. My accommodations are much nicer than last year. I have a decent sized room with a small armour, a bookshelf, a table for a desk and two twin beds. One bed I sleep on and the other I throw my clothes on. My door locks and I have a key...I have not hid my shite in the same way I did last time. There is a computer which we are allowed to use for an hour a day. However, on half the keys the letters and symbols have been worn off. Many of you know that my typing is some strange system that emerged from my isolated relationship with an old electric typewriter. I violently hunt and peck. With the little symbols missing, I freeze. So it is a bit of trial and error and painfully slow (um, slower actually). So to the internet cafes I shall go to write. In the house there are several students from Europe and the USA. They are very very young. Again I am the oldie. It bothers me not. They are much friendlier than the westerners I encountered last year. Last night we played cards....a game called asshole. If you lose you are the asshole. I was the asshole many times. It bothered me not. Luky and Jose are kind and animated and much more liberal than my previous host family. There are not religious symbols everywhere the eye can see. No Jesus hangs above my bed this time. Conversation topics during my first few meals have included circumcision, friends with benefits, loveless sex, and hangovers. The details were lost on me because of my crude Spanish, but the topics were unmistakable. It was very entertaining. And exhausting. I am remembering how exhausting it is to not understand so much of what is going on...but I am so much better than the first time around. My first night in town I spent at Cafe No Se and I was pacing quite well, for hours in fact, until people so generously insisted I shoot mescal. Bad idea. Bad hangover. But it was a brilliant night. When I walked into Dyslexia Books Carlos just kept saying, ¨I don´t believe it! I don´t believe it!¨ He finally believed it and we sat together for hours at No Se. All my buds were there...Mike, John, Nora, Steve, Kevin and Katie. We all laughed and laughed and told many stories and jokes. I am the big crazy dyke here and the role suites me. And as is always the case in No Se, I have already met new and interesting folks. I got so many warm hugs and, as usual, someone called a sweet cabbie to get my ass home safely at 3am. I must run for la cena (dinner). More later. Just wanted to check in. Adios. PS Spell check is not working so sorry. Will correct later...please forgive me for this disability. Punctuation is also limited because of the Spanish keyboards. The symbols often don´t match the action. Everything is hodge-podge here...a patchwork of old keyboards both English and Spanish and nothing ever seems to match up. And you have to learn little tricks like alt-64 gets you this @. You can´t send an email till you learn this one!

3 comments:

Juls said...

Hi Mer!

Don't worry - I am reading. I'm glad to know you are safe and sound and back in a spot that feels so friendly and loving. I'm excited to hear more of all the details. I keep almost calling you and then realizing that I can't. But then I remembered the blog and I'm so glad you do it. Here's a joke for you - which cheese isn't your cheese? NACHO CHEESE!!! That's from Trent. Love Jules

Jratrain said...

"circumcision, friends with benefits, loveless sex, and hangovers."

shit. You know nothing of these things except hangovers. I myself no nothing of these things except hangovers and.......circumcision...



jim

Mer said...

Jimmy the Rat!
I dare say that considering this past year, with one or two exceptions, you are closer to correct than I am happy to admit (excepting for the circumcision part). You make me laugh even so far from home!