Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Years Eve in Bullets...and More

  • The brilliant chaos of Parque Centro
  • Cafe No Se...but of course
  • New friends that it feels like I have known forever....
  • Fireworks, a lot of fireworks
  • Illegal Mezcal and Tequila
  • Poetry and singing and toasts....many toasts
  • Love and friendship and honesty and hope...
  • Lou Reed and Dylan and four chords and the truth
  • Nora and Barbara singing in German...the beauty of it all needing no translation
  • Steve quietly treating me like a queen...never in want for a thing
  • To bed at 6:00am!
Here's to 2008 and the friends that I will never forget:

Steve...the sweet Aussie with the most infectious smile and a quiet kindness. Have a big crush on you boy!

Mike, you are a kindred soul, truly. We are cut from similar clothe...and yes, "water finds it's own level." And your baritone singing "If I were a rich man..." is still an ear worm in my head!

Nora, you are gorgeous and loving and brave and talented....a Gypsy spirit...and you can drink more mescal than anyone I know!

Barbara, you are a love and a friend...we shall meet again in SF or Germany...."and fuck the bitches and the bastards!"

John. You are a beautiful, patient, accepting man and you ground No Se. Your openness and kindness are an inspiration to me. And thanks for always calling me a cab.

Catherine, a free spirit and new friend....we shall meet by the Sea of Cortez and make our own No Se wherever we need too. Here's to smart kind men in bars everywhere!

Ivy, gorgeous and kind and perpetually smiling. We'll do lunch and talk philosophy next time!

Anna it was an absolute pleasure talking to such a smart young woman. You were great company and I wish you the best in your studies.

Kevin. You are a good man and a great bartender. Thanks for taking on the reading assignment I gave you and for appreciating so much my freaky self. I look forward to seeing you and your girl in Oakland soon.

Vince...I was amazed at how well you found every excuse to use the word lesbian while in my presence...I thank you for calling me your favorite lesbian.

There are more of you....and I could go on, but Cafe No Se is a new touchstone for me, a place of healing and renewal and acceptance. You were all a good-bad influence on me and I felt so much love in that place I am a better woman for it. Thanks for all the hugs and kindness....I will be back....and Mike has promised me that when I return he will quietly pour me a drink and say "welcome home." Indeed Mike, water finds its own level.

To all my friends.... a few photos....

































John praying to a Corona

Me & Barbara

Ivy, Anna & Me

Catherine, Mike, Barbara & Nora...at table...typical scene

Steve

Anna, ?, Nora, Edwin & Catherine

Me & Steve

Ivy & Elliot's head

Steve & John tending bar

John & Mike

Me & Steve...again!

Map of US...excellent cartoon of US politics!

Vince, me & Barbara

No comments: